CAB's Steak and Macaroni
February 25, 2011 § 2 Comments
One of my favorite dishes is my mother-in-law’s steak and macaroni. She makes a mean steak and mac. This is my version of her recipe, albeit a few more steps and ingredients have been added. I use the Memphis Dust BBQ sauce since we love it but feel free to use your favorite BBQ sauce or just ketchup. If using just ketchup, bump the amount to 2/3 cup ketchup. This recipe works with slow cookers as well as in a pot on a stove. Your choice.
- 1 1/2 lb chuck steak, cubed into 1” pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Memphis Dust BBQ sauce (recipe below), or substitute with your favorite BBQ sauce or ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons Canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to package
Combine flour, salt and ground pepper. Dredge meat in flour, set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat in batches, adding more oil as needed. Transfer browned meat to slow cooker.
In same skillet, add onions and mushrooms. Cook until brown, turn down heat a bit if needed. Add water slowly to empty skillet, scraping off brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add water and scrapings to slow cooker. Add ketchup and BBQ sauce to slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 hours or 1-1.5 hours on high, or until meat is tender. If cooking on stove top, simmer in a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot on low for 1-2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Serve hot over cooked macaroni.
Memphis Dust BBQ Sauce Instructions:
Memphis Dust Rub (makes about 1/2 cup):
- 4 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary powder
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 8 oz Henz tomato sauce, no salt
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Memphis Dust Rub mix
Mix all ingredients together and simmer for 15 minutes in a sauce pan. Will keep in the refrigerator for a very long time.